Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Smallmouth Fishing on the New River (Blog 286)

This past Saturday as part of Britt Stoudenmire and his New River Outdoor Company's annual March "Guides' Tournament" I had the chance to fish with guides Steve Journell and Boo Garber.  The goal is to catch, measure, and release your best five smallmouth bass per boat, and the three of us had a quintet of smallmouths that measured, as I recall, around 92 inches.

March action, or action really just about anytime on the New, can be that good.  Our total was good enough for a tie for first place.  To be truthful, my losing a 21-inch or so smallmouth was the reason my team failed to win, but such is life and such, sometimes, are my fishing skills.

In any event, Britt and his guides are always a pleasure to fish with.  For more information: http://www.icanoethenew.com.  The picture below shows Steve playing a trophy smallmouth while Boo readies the net.

No comments:

Post a Comment