Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Virginia's Opening Weekend of Spring Gobbler Season (Blog 289)

Saturday, opening day of Virginia's spring gobbler season, found me in a woodlot bordering an alfalfa field in Franklin County.  The up to 40-mph winds buffeted my decoy and me about, and the only turkey seen all morning was a lonesome jake.

Sunday found me back at the same farm but I opted to hunt a different section of the farm where I had seen lots of sign during pre-season scouting.  It was the right call because I called in and killed a nice two-year-old tom.

With my two turkeys back in the fall, I am now tagged out in Virginia and look forward to taking other people in Virginia and hunting in West Virginia.  The older I become, the more I enjoy not bringing a gun and trying to help other people be successful. In fact, friend Doak Harbison and I have already planned a trip to the Franklin County farm next Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment