Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2016

West Virginia Gobbling in the Flog (Blog 292)

This morning I went to a mountaintop in West Virginia's Monroe County to turkey hunt.  The air was heavy with moisture and a dense fog shrouded the mountain, so I was worried that the toms would not be gobbling.

Instead, well before dawn, a tom sounded off to my barred owl call and then three more longbeards chimed in.  The gobbling went on for quite some time, but eventually stopped but not the fog.  The murk continued until well after 9 and even then did not entirely lift. I never saw a turkey.

That is until I walked back to my vehicle where a gobbler was feeding nearby.  Of course, I spooked him.  I am thinking of taking  a half day personal day from school on the next clear morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment