Search This Blog

Monday, November 4, 2019

Nature Wastes Nothing (Blog 463)

Last week while bow hunting in Botetourt County, Virginia, I decided to set up in a funnel where I had killed a doe five days before. Normally, I like to let a place "rest" for a week or more after killing a deer there. But the spot is so good, and so many deer go through there, that temptation won out against judgement.

While there, I watched individual black vultures, and small groups of this bird, visit over and over the exact spot where I had field dressed a deer earlier in the week. There was nothing at that spot except a  slight greasy slick (as I would describe it) yet the vultures thought it worthwhile to visit and even fight over. When the vultures weren't there, I saw a raven and several crows visit, too. Each creature was apparently trying to extract one little morsel of nourishment from my kill.

I passed on a small buck while hunting that day and should have killed a doe, but it eased by me when I wasn't looking. Two days later, I was back at the spot again and killed another doe there. Interestingly, I field dressed it in almost the same spot as the one I had arrowed earlier. I have no doubt that the vultures, ravens, and crows all found the remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment