Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Of Squirrels, Cats, and Deer Jaw Bones (Blog 462)

While bowhunting this past Saturday near my home in Botetourt County, Virginia, I heard and saw a very interesting thing. Around 5:00, I heard some gray squirrels give the alarm note, then seconds later a black cat with white paws paraded in front of me with a silvertail in its mouth. For the next half hour or so, various squirrels continued to give the alarm call.

About an hour later, the cat again passed by me -looking to be on the hunt once more. The squirrels in the woodlot again started chattering.

My son-in-law David Reynolds also had a squirrel story. He observed a gray squirrel walk by him with a deer jaw bone in its mouth. The bushytail proceeded to climb a tree and enter its nest, again still carrying the bone. Fascinating stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment