Search This Blog

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Virginia Turkey Hunting in the Snow (Blog 421)

Wednesday of this week, with Botetourt County schools again closed and with my frustration with being inside at its peak, I decided to go turkey hunting in the snow at a nearby cattle farm. I asked Elaine to drop me off around 2:30 and pick me up at dark.

My reasoning was that the cattle would slog their way through the deep snow (16 inches fell) and open up some pasture. This would cause turkeys to come feed in the pasture...or so my reasoning went.

But when I arrived at the farm, the cattle were all down at the barn. None of them had ventured away from it the whole time since the snow had fallen on Sunday. So it was I that slogged my way through the pasture and found not a single turkey track. I had hoped to go turkey hunting today, Saturday, but the steady rains ruined that.  Maybe tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment