Search This Blog

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Spending Saturday in the Virginia Turkey Woods (Blog 422)

I spent all day Saturday pursuing turkeys on a Botetourt County, Virginia cattle farm. And for the first time in my life, I busted up three separate flocks of birds...and never fired a shot. On the first scatter, with the birds on the roost, they all flew in the same direction.

On the second scatter, which was a flock of gobblers, I actually called one of the longbeards in. But I didn't have a shot because I had set up wrong.

On the third scatter, which was just before 2:00 P.M., I again set up incorrectly as birds filtered by just out of sight.

I hope to do better today. People who think fall turkey hunting is easy are people who don't hunt fall turkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment