Search This Blog

Thursday, April 4, 2019

The Vagaries of Spring Gobbler Hunting (Blog 437)

I spent Saturday through Monday in Tennessee spring gobbler hunting with good friend Larry Proffit of Elizabethton. Larry is one of the best callers I have ever hunted with, and I didn't see a gobbler the three days I was there. Such is life sometimes in the spring gobbler woods.

This morning as I was letting our chickens out of their coops, I heard one gobbler - about 60 yards away in a pine - gobbling repeatedly. The tom was so talkative that he caused our alpha rooster, Don, to crow and all of the hens to be on edge.

Finally, I saw the tom fly down and land in our hollow - and still keep gobbling. In fact, the bird did not cease for another 10 minutes.

Why were the woods in Tennessee so quiet when I was there, and the toms so raucous behind our house. Will that gobbler still be behind our house when opening day arrives. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment