Search This Blog

Friday, April 26, 2019

Longbeards and Morels in West Virginia (Blog 440)

This past weekend, I had one of those perfect spring days in the mountains of Monroe County, West Virginia. While trying to maneuver around a flock of gobblers and hens, I came across some black morels growing along a highland creek. I had brought a plastic bag for just such a random chance encounter. So I quickly gathered the morels and continued after the turkeys.

Later, I was able to kill my biggest ever West Virginia gobbler, a tom that weighed 26 pounds, 8 ounces. That night for dinner, my wife Elaine fixed a tasty scrambled eggs, vegetables, and morels dish. It was a perfect day and a perfect dinner.

Oh, by the way, I saw large patches of ramps growing on that mountainside. I know ramps are popular in many places, and I know this is heresy to say it, but neither Elaine nor I can understand their appeal. So I left them for someone else to gather.

No comments:

Post a Comment