Search This Blog

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Heading Out into the Virginia Turkey Woods (Blog 376)

It's 5:39 A.M. as I write this and in about 20 minutes my son-in-law David Reynolds will be by to pick me up for us to go turkey hunting on the last day of Virginia's winter turkey season. I have killed my two-bird limit, so I won't be carrying a gun, but I am still really excited to be going.

So excited that I had trouble sleeping last night. Just the thought of entering the woods to pursue turkeys, whether it is fall, winter, or spring, is incredible pleasurable and stimulating to me. The challenge of matching up against a bird whose sight and hearing is far superior to mine and whose instincts are so raw and pure. It's one of the many great things about hunting turkeys.

Who knows whether David will kill a bird or not or whether we will even find a flock. That story will be written in the woods this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment