Search This Blog

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Deer Hunting in the Cold (Blog 373)

Today is the last day of deer season, and I am doubtful if I will be able to summon up enough courage to go afield. Monday, New Year's Day, my son-in-law David Reynolds and I went to a Botetourt County, Virginia cattle farm, arriving on our respective stands around 3:15.

The temperature with the wind chill was 4 degrees, and neither one of us made it to the end of shooting light at 5:35. In fact, we ran into each other leaving the woods at 5:15. Neither one of us had seen a deer. David summed up our respective thoughts when he said, "I knew it was time to get up when I realized I was too cold to shoot a deer if one did come by."

We talked earlier in the week about going today in late afternoon when the temperature will be around 0 with the wind chill. I have a feeling that we will probably cancel.

No comments:

Post a Comment