Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Joys of Being in the Woods (Blog 469)

It is a truism, obviously, that writers should write about the things they know the best and love the best. And the thing I love the most is the outdoors. Last night before going to bed, I read the chapter "Solitude" in Thoreau's Walden, a good chapter to read during a pandemic.
Then this morning, I went turkey hunting by myself in West Virginia. The toms were uncooperative but I enjoyed myself immensely experiencing the solitude of being deep in the mountains. When it became apparent later in the morning that the gobblers were not active, I turned to looking for yellow morel mushrooms. I was fortunate to find two, which will be part of my dinner tonight. Who knows the day may be worth mentioning in a story somewhere down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment