Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Wild Turkey Poults Spotted This Morning (Blog 455)

This is the first week of school where I live in Botetourt County, Virginia, so I have been walking earlier than usual in the morning. This morning while doing so, I spotted four mother hens and approximately 16 poults bugging for grasshoppers in a field. No doubt they were eating a wide variety of wild plants as well.

Yesterday after school, Elaine and I released our two mother hens with their eight chicks and watched them bug and search for clover. Once again I was reminded how similar the behavior of chickens and turkeys is. After all, they are both gallinaceous birds. They scratch the same way, flock and roost in similar fashions and have a shared passion for bugs, clover, and dandelions. The hens even share joint mothering duties, as was evident in the turkey flock I observed this morning, and the actions of the two mother hens in our run.

No comments:

Post a Comment