Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Virginia Toms Gobbling Every Morning (Blog 435)

Almost every morning year round I walk three miles in the dark before going to teach school or begin my summer day. This month is my favorite to walk in the dark because a morning ritual is to see how many gobblers I hear on my pre-dawn rambles.

Two mornings ago, I yelped with my mouth which sent one tom into a frenzied gobbling sequence. Several hens also responded to my yelps. This morning, the longbeard was gobbling on his own as I walked past his roost in the dark.

I conclude my walks on our 38-acre parcel in Botetourt County, Virginia. We have at least two toms gobbling behind our house, but they do not do so every morning. I don't think they have settled into a roosting pattern yet.

Soon, Elaine and I will head to Tennessee for me to turkey hunt, then, of course, come the Virginia and West Virginia seasons. I can hardly wait.

1 comment: