Search This Blog

Saturday, January 5, 2019

Deer Scarce during Virginia's Late Muzzleloader Season (Blog 424)

I had five different "settings" during doe days in Virginia's late muzzleloader season and only saw deer (two fawns) on the first of the five. I am often amazed when I see stories about trophy hunting for big bucks during the late season, and I struggle to see deer most years during this time period.

Maybe my poor success year after year is because of my hunting so much in the mountains where the weather is colder. Or, frankly, my poor hunting could be because I am clueless on how to pursue late season deer.  In any event, another late season has come and gone, and I struck out again.

On the January and February Saturdays to come, I'm going to look forward to squirrel hunting behind the house and doing Timber Stand Improvement projects on our Botetourt County land.

No comments:

Post a Comment