Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Joys of Elaine's Homemade Persimmon Bread (Blog 416)

When people ask me what is my favorite type of bread, many answers could come to mind. Elaine is a marvelous cook and her sourdough and whole wheat breads are sublime. But the best bread she makes is her persimmon/wild black walnut bread.

This past weekend, we went to gather persimmons. Earlier, I had gathered wild black walnuts on our Botetourt County, Virginia land and had left them on our fireplace hearth to fully ripen. After we gathered the persimmons, I cracked the walnuts while Elaine prepared the persimmon pulp.

An hour or so later, we dined on persimmon bread for lunch. The fruity/nutty taste, the appealing deep brown color/the smell of warm bread hot from the oven...well, yes, this is my favorite bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment