Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Scouting for Virginia Turkeys while Bowhunting (Blog 413)

With Virginia's turkey season set to start Saturday, October 27, I decided to bow hunt a Botetourt County cattle farm for deer Thursday after school. My main objective was to look for turkey sign and hope that I would see or hear a flock. I have called in and killed several spring gobblers there and hope that I could take a fall bird  this year on the property.

At 5:10, I saw a flock and when the members came to within about a 100 yards, I got my crossbow in a position to shoot. In the past, while in a stand with my compound or crossbow, I have waited too long too many times to be in shooting position. However, the flock never came any closer than about 70 yards, but I was able to identify its members - seven mature gobblers.

About 5:30, a mature doe approached my stand, and I was able to kill her. Obviously, this outing could not have gone any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment