Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Spring Gobbler Success in Virginia Woods (Blog 389)

Friday, I took a vacation day from school and hunted my best Botetourt County farm and though I heard five gobblers, I also heard and saw hens. Saturday, I hunted another really good place and heard three toms off our land in the Sinking Creek Valley of Craig County. Sunday, I went to the best farm I have permission to hunt, one in Franklin County.  And never came close to killing a bird.

With my having to be at school on Monday morning by 8:45, I almost decided not to go. But, ultimately, I did and a tom came charging in to position, not long after he flew down from the roost. The gobbler and I were back home by around 7:00 A.M., time for Elaine to take pictures of the bird and me, and for me to clean him.

Spring gobbler hunting is full of little ironies, and such was the case again. Three days when I had to noon to hunt and never came close to punching a tag, and then on a short hunt before school, I tagged a tom quickly. Since I killed two VA birds in the fall, I am now tagged out in my home state. Saturday, I will go afield in West Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment