Search This Blog

Thursday, February 22, 2018

No Gobbling Yet in the Southwest Virginia Mountains (Blog 380)

For the past week or so, I have been listening a little more intently to the beginning signs of spring as the morning temperatures have been in the 50s. Two days ago,  this winter/spring, I heard a song sparrow singing its mating song for the first time. Cardinals have already broken into song and mourning doves are likewise in full-blown mating mood.

Our two Rhode Island Red roosters have increased the intensity of their morning skirmishes, even though their respective domains are separated by a wire fence. The two roosters often fling themselves against the fence and give each other the evil eye in this battle for one upsmanship.

Still, though, I have not heard the first gobble on our 38 acres in Botetourt County. While I was tending the chickens this morning, two turkey hens began yelping and cutting, and I was sure that a tom would respond to that. But none did. It won't be long, though, because I have at least two longbeards that roost on our land.

No comments:

Post a Comment